2nd Battalion of the Regiment Gondrin.
These have been painted for some time. This week I went through a spurt of completing bases on stuff and these were some of the bases that I completed.
But I get painter’s block sometimes. I think I know why I have it for this unit. It’s the gray coats with the gray cuffs. That is really tedious to paint. It’s three coats of paint but each of the coats need to be handled rather carefully. First, so that the paint doesn’t get globbed up on the figure. Getting the consistency right is key and for grays and whites a lot of care is needed. Second, to get a good look for the overall color. It’s too easy to have either too much base coat or too much white. Finally, painting around the buttons. I do this all the time and on dark coats it’s really easy but for white coats you need to run up close but not paint over the button or its outline.
I’m well on my way with the first battalion and now seeing the second complete, I may have renewed motivation. I love white with red and the red coat on the officer and red hose for everyone really sets this unit off.
Do you ever get painter’s block for a unit? What causes it? What helps you get through?
As usual, figures by Front Rank, flags by GMB.
Royal Cravattes was deployed on the left of the center at Ramillies. This finishes up the French horse that I have painted for now. Royal Cravattes consists of 3 squadrons and that brings my total of French horse to 13 squadrons. I have lead for another couple of squadrons and intend to paint up Rosen with that lead. They were brigaded with Royal Cravattes at Ramillies. Then I’ll start on the line cav of the second line – lots of white with red facings. Tedious to paint probably but I bet it will look nice all lined up.
Here are a couple more shots.
I’d hoped to finish my summary of Ga Pa but I haven’t quite finished that. Hopefully in the next few days. So I final shot of all three squadrons together.
Figures by Front Rank, flags by GMB Designs.
And now for some cavalry. This is the first squadron of the regiment Royal Etranger. It was present at Ramillies on the right flank, a little behind the first line in support. It was composed of 3 squadrons and brigaded with the Regiment Toulouse.
I guess I could also call this the premier regiment OCD. To answer my question from the first blog, yes, I will go back and touch up figures after I photograph them and see obvious flaws. I did that with this regiment. This was the first cav regiment I painted. Looking closely at it to touch up some of those flaws, I was experimenting with flesh colors back then so my current flesh pallette doesn’t quite work. I picked up a little around the eyes, but not too much, and only using the deepest shade. And I finished painting the bases. I thought I had painted the edges of all the bases – how I usually do it – but the photo pointed out that wasn’t done. So I cleaned that up too.
Anyway, hope you enjoy. Again figures by Front Rank and flags by GMB Designs.
A couple more shots of the 1st squadron, followed by the full regiment.
I’ve always been fond of the Royal Italien regiment. I like the brown coats with the red facings. It’s not very dramatic, colorwise, I guess, but it seems to be a nice combination. This regiment had 1 battalion at the Battle of Ramillies and fought around the town of Ramillies with the regiments Picardie, Clare, and Gondrin. Those 4 regiments will provide a nice core for my army and they are almost all complete now. There is another regiment at Ramillies in brown and red, the regiment Provence. Hopefully I’ll get to them this year also. Those brown coats are easy to paint and quite forgiving. Here are a few more pics.
The figures are Front Rank, flags by GMB.