This is the third regiment of Danish horse I have completed, Holstenske.
That’s what I’m talking about! Red facings against the buff coats really look good. I’m happy they look pretty good in pictures too. I think I have something going on red facings. You’ll see something very red on my painting distractions blog very soon I hope.
I’d also like to call your attention to an excellent website detailing uniforms of Danish regiments during the WSS era: http://www.tacitus.nu/karoliner/armeer/danmark/kavalleri.htm
It looks like the next regiment I am working on, Wurttemberg, should be depicted with green facings. I have 3 figures done with black facings but I had no idea what to use really, so they’ll be green when you see them, hopefully not too far in the future.
One last shot of Holstenske
Another one of my almost finished Danish horse units.
Buff is a pretty good color to put all of these facings against I think. This one doesn’t stand out much in picture or on the table, but it still looks pretty good. I was a little surprised after I got the pictures up of the previous unit how much the purple screams out from a photo as it’s really not that dramatic in real life. There is so much to learn about photography.
I have one more almost completed unit to post up, then I need to almost complete the other unit I’ve started. How I wish someone would make flags for these guys.
I love Front Rank horses. I love these figs all around actually. The nice head variants add a lot. I really like the standing pose also. Ready for action I guess.
It’s been far too long since I’ve updated the blog. That reflects it being far too long since I’ve given this project any attention. Well, I’m working through my backlog of half started things and the Danish horse have come to my attention. Here is a new regiment:
It’s the 2nd Sjaellandske. Also listed in some OBATs as Ranzau. I like the purple facings, although I thought they might be a little more dramatic than they are.
The Danes fielded 8 regiments of horse at Ramillies, and 1 of dragoons. Each regiment had two squadrons. This is my third.
I thought I’d posted pictures of the others I have complete, but I don’t, so I’ll correct that in the next few days, giving me reasons to update this blog some more. And “complete” is a bit of a misnomer for them as I don’t have flags for them. I thought I had figured out a method to produce my own but have stumbled at that. Soon perhaps.
I have a 4th regiment on the painting blocks so maybe it will be added to the forces soon also.
With deepest apologies to Rogers and Hammerstein, of course….
I have some Danes already and thought this would be the year of completing my Danish continent for Ramillies. Haven’t done much on that. I have a couple of cuirassier regiments in progress but did manage to knock off these two generals:
The above chap is supposed to be someone called Schwerzel. I wish I had more info on him. According to the order of battle I’m working from, he was a brigadier commanding three battalions: the 1st of Prinz Karl (coincidentally also referred to as Schwerzel), Fynske, and the Wurttemberg Oels foot. If anyone knows anything more about him, I’d love to learn.
The following chap is supposed to represent someone called Donep.
Donep in my order of battle was commanding a couple of Danish battalions in his brigade: the 2nd battalion of Prinz Karl, and the 1st battalion of Sjaellandske (coincidentally also called Donep). Again, any additional info on this chap would be much appreciated.
Speaking of the Danish regiment Prinz Karl with 2 battalions at Ramillies, I have them painted also. Sadly I don’t have flags for them, although I think I may have a way to produce them fairly easily soon.
And with a couple of close-ups.
The Danish contingent at Ramillies would be a nice bit to complete and I had hoped to do that this year. It’s till possible I could do most of it. It consists of 7 battalions of foot. You can see two of them are complete, except for the flags. There are also 16 squadrons of cuirassiers. I have 4 done and 4 under construction. So completing 5 more battalions of foot and 8 more squadrons of cuirassiers is very doable. The only problem is that there are 5 squadrons of dragoons that I’m not sure what to do about. They have double-breasted coats and FR doesn’t make figures for them. I wouldn’t really expect that. I’m wondering whether to just paint up regular dragoons or try to kit-bash them into something with double-breasted coats. The latter doesn’t sound like fun to me.